Mesut Ozil is a professional German football player currently playing as an attacking midfielder for Süper Lig club Fenerbahçe. Footballer Mesut played for Germany national team unit 2018 FIFA World Cup but decided to retire from the German national team after their 2018 FIFA World Cup exit. Ozil is mainly known for his superb dribbling, technical skills, creativity, passing skills, and vision.
He has won German Player of the Year for five years. Due to his phenomenal performance in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, he was targeted by many prominent European clubs. During the peak time of Mesut’s career, he was considered one of the best midfielders.
On 27 January 2012, Ozil joined the Turkish club Fenerbahçe on the three-and-half-year deal as a free agent with a reported yearly salary of £4.5 million.
Mesut Ozil: Quick Facts
|Full Name||Mesut Ozil|
|Date of Birth||15 October 1988|
|Birth Place||Gelsenkirchen, West Germany|
|Father’s Name||Mustafa Ozil|
|Mother’s Name||Gulizar Ozil|
|Height||5 feet 11 inches (180 cm)|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
|Shoe Size||Under Review|
|Wife||Amine Gülşe Ozil|
|Net Worth||€120 million|
|Social Media Presence||Facebook, Twitter, Instagram|
|Source of Wealth:||Football, Endorsements|
|Last Updated||Jan 2022|
Footballer Mesut Ozil was born on 15 October 1988 in Gelsenkirchen, a city in western Germany. His father, Mustafa Ozil, was a metal worker, while Gulizar Ozil, was a housewife. Mesut parents were poor as they worked in poor paying jobs. His parents were Turkish, but migrated to Germany to seek better life and provide a better future for their kids.
Lionel Messi Bio, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Instagram, Total Goals >>
He joined the preschool where most of Turkish immigrants were joined. Later he joined Gesamtschule Berger Feld.
Ozil started playing football from an early age. He used to watch his older brother dribble and was fascinated by it. He started playing football in his primary school. Similarly, Ozil further polished his football skills by playing with a local football pitch known as the Monkey cage in his neighborhood. In 2005, Ozil moved to the youth system of Schalke 04. He soon was enlisted in the senior team of Schalke 04.
Mesut Ozil Age, Height, Weight, Body Measurement
Footballer Ozil is 33 years old as of 2021, born in 1988. He is a citizen of Germany and is of mix ethnicity. Ozil stands 5 feet 11 inches (180 cm) tall and is a physically strong player. He weighs around 76kg.
Mesut’s eyes are light brown and have black hair. Ozil’s chest measurement is 41 inches. Similarly, his waist is 33 inches and his biceps are 14 inches.
Who is Mesut Ozil Wife?
In 2013, he started dating singer Mandy Capristo. However, the relationship ended in 2014 when reports of him dating other women circulated in the media. Two years later, Ozil and Capristo were seen together at the Bambi awards ceremony in Berlin. However, they again broke up in 2017.
Later on, he started dating former Miss Turkey, Amine Gülşe, and got married in 2019 with their first child, Eda, born in March 2020.
Mesut Ozil Religion
Footballer Mesut Ozil is Turkish-German. Turkish was the first language Ozil learned. He also attended a preschool populated with students of Turkish immigrants.
Ozil is Muslim; he practices Muslim religion when he gets a chance. But due to his football career, he has to maintain diet to be energetic as some Muslim festivals involve fasting.
Mesut Ozil Charity Work
Ozil is incredibly generous. He donated prize money of $329,000 after winning the World Cup in 2014. He also donated to the BigShoe project and financed surgeries for 23 children in Brazil. After Ozil’s wedding, he and his wife donated to 16 camps in Turkey and Syria. These are only some of the charity work he has been involved in; there are many such charities he has donated.
Mesut Ozil Salary and Net Worth
Footballer Mesut Ozil signed a contract with Turkish club Fenerbahçe on 27 January 2021, as a free agent.
Mesut Ozil‘s Salary:
In weeks: £67,300 or $ 760000
In a Year: £3 million or $3390000
Sunil Chhetri Bio, Age, Height, Total Goals, Wife, Net Worth >>
Ozil’s net worth is $120 million as of 2021. His overall salary and net worth are from playing football, sponsorships and endorsements.
Mesut Ozil Instagram
- Instagram: 24m Followers
- Ozil started playing football at an early age. Ozil played at youth level, for various clubs in Gelsenkirchen during 1995~2000, before a five-year stint for Rot Weiss Essen.
- Likewise, Mesut joined the youth system of Schalke 04 in 2005 where he played as a midfielder. With a reported fee of €5 million, he moved to Werder Bremen on 31 January 2008.
- He scored his first Bundesliga goal on 26 April 2008, against Karlsruher SC.
- Ozil played his 100th Bundesliga game on 1 May 2010, scoring the 1-0 lead on 2-0 win against his former club Schalke.
- Mesut helped Werder Bremen to reach 2009-10 DFB-Pokal final but unfortunately lost the game against Bayern Munich. After some phenomenal performance in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, many big teams like Barcelona, Arsenal and Real Madrid wanted to sign him to their club.
- Some reports were clamming he was going to FC Barcelona, but Werder Bremen denied the reports on 17 August 2010. After that the team announced that they had reached an agreement with Real Madrid.
- Ozil joined the youth system of Schalke in 2005. He started playing as a playmaker and central attacking midfielder, but after one of the teammates was suspended, he started playing as a midfielder.
- But his stay at Schalke didn’t last long as he declined the club’s offer, claiming that his yearly salary of €1.5 million would not be enough. After that, the club’s manager, Mirko Slomka claimed that he would not play any other match for the club.
- He scored 1 goals in 39 appearances for the club.
- Ozil moved to Werder Bremen on 31 January 2008 for a reported fee of €5 million.
- On 26 April 2008, he scored a goal in the 33rd minute against Karlsruher SC, his first Bundesliga goal.
- The club finished in 2nd position in Bundesliga at the end of 2007-08 season, with Ozil playing twelve games in second half of the season.
- Ozil scored three goals with 15 assists in the 2008-09 season, but the club finished in tenth position.
- He helped the club reach the final game of the UEFA Cup, losing out to Shakhtar Donetsk of Ukraine.
- Ozil was named the best player of the first leg of the 2009 Bundesliga season.
- He scored 9 goals and 17 assists in 31 appearances for the club, finishing 3rd in the league.
- He scored 17 goals in 108 appearances for the club.
- On 17 August 2010, he was signed by Real Madrid with the transfer fee of around €15 million.
- Ozil made his debut with the club in a friendly match against Hércules on 22 August, with Real Madrid winning by 3-1.
- He was a backup for Kaká, but got the starting role when Kaká got injured.
- Ozil made his La Liga debut as a substitute for Ángel Di María against Mallorca in the 62nd minute.
- He made his debut and got his first assists for the club in the Champions League on 15 September against Ajax with his assist being converted by Gonzalo Higuaín.
- On 3 October 2010, Ozil scored his first goal for the club in League match against Deportivo de La Coruña.
- On 19 October 2010, he scored his first Champions League goal against AC Milan in the 14th minute.
- He scored a goal in the debut match of Copa del Rey on 22 December.
- He became the highest assists provider of major European competition that season by providing 25 assists. This season’s performance of his was praised by fans and media worldwide.
- In 2011-12 season, he started wearing number 10 shirt.
- He scored his first El Clásico on 14 August 2011 in the first leg of the 2011 Supercopa de España.
- In the 2011-22 season, he was the top assist provider with 17 assists and helped Real Madrid lift the 32nd La Liga title.
- In 2012-13 season, he was again the top scorer with 26 assists of La Liga.
- At his time in Real Madrid, he was considered one of the best midfielders with three straight highest assists provider of La Liga.
- Arsenal signed Ozil on 2 September 2013, with both fee and the contract duration being undisclosed but were believed to be around £42.5 million for a five-year deal, making him the most expensive German player of all time.
- On 14 September 2013, Ozil made his debut against Sunderland and provided his first assist for the club in the 11th m
- Arsenal won the 2014 FA Cup Final, with Ozil coming off at half-time in extra-time. Ozil completed his first season with 13 assists and seven goals in all competition for arsenal.
- In his first Premier League start of 2014-15 season, he scored once and assisted Olivier Giroud on 1 February.
- Mesut scored the opening goal in Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat against Tottenham the following week.
- In the next two years, he had limited playing time and had less number of goals and assists than 2017-18 season.He scored 44 goals in 254 appearances during his time in the club.
- Ozil was signed by Turkish club Fenerbahçe on 27 January 2021 as a free agent for three-and-a-half-year.
- On 15 August, Mesut scored his first goal against Adana Demirspor in a 1-0 away victory.
- He currently has 3 goals in 23 appearances for the club.
- Ozil chose to play for Germany as he was eligible to play for Turkey at the beginning of his career.
- He started playing for the German U-17 team and was included in the German U-21 team from 2007.
- On 11 February, Ozil made his debut for the senior team against Norway.
- In September, he scored his first goal for the senior team against South Africa.
- SImilarly, In 2010 FIFA World Cup, he was among the ten tournament players nominated for the Golden Ball.
- In UEFA Euro 2012 qualifiers, Germany won all ten games, with Ozil scoring 5 goals and 7 assists during the campaign.
- On 29 February 2012, Ozil was named Germany’s best international of the year for 2011.
- Ozil became Germany’s top scorer with eight goals in the 2014 World Cup qualifier.
- He started all seven games of Germany in the 2014 FIFA World Cup, scoring some goals, providing some assists, and helping the team lift the prestigious World Cup.
- UEFA Euro 2016 and 2018 FIFA World Cup were not special for both Ozil and German national team as they got eliminated in semi-finals in euro and did not even qualify for the round of 16 in World Cup.
Footballer Ozil announced his retirement from international football after the 2018 FIFA World Cup due to discrimination and disrespect from the German Football Association (DFB) and the German Media.
Mesut Ozil Stats
|Appearances and goals by club|